Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Grandma


I have never been so afraid (that I can think of) in my life. Growing up, my family structure was the following: My maternal grandmother and grandfather, my moma, my aunt (who is two years younger) and my sisters and brothers (I am the oldest). We were taught about God but we never belonged to a church. I believe now that it may have been because it was so many of us. I learned to pray. I prayed for so many things. When I was younger, I prayed to be pretty. I pray for an escape. I just talked to the Lord all the time.
My upbringing was to negative. The things that were done in the house, I promised NEVER to do to my children. We went days and sometimes months without a phone. Days without lights. And struggled making food stretch to the end of the month. My grandma IS and always have been the rock. She was no angel, she was tough as nails. But she made a way for us to survive. If it wasn't for grandma, I don't think...well, I cannot say I she contributes to the entire success that I have accomplished in my life but I can say that she enstilled a strong will in me. She taought me, if a person won't do it for you, you have to get it yourself.
My grandfather was passive. He was also an alcoholic. Serious alcoholic. My granddad was disable I think he dranked to suffice alot of stress that were going on in his past. So my grandma was the head of the household.

Today, I got news that my grandma has a growth on her lung. For years, she didn't want to go to the doctor because she was afraid she was going to get diagnosed with cancer. I am faced with a horrifying truth. It maybe/LORD KNOWS I hope not. I am one of those types that feels you didn't pick your family but they are still your family. I love my grandma with all my heart and soul. I cannot bear to think about losing her. Not to cancer. I am claiming, in the name of Jesus, that this is something that can be easily treated.

1 comment:

  1. T. Nes,

    It's funny how God uses us to get His glory, and sometimes (well, most times), He uses tragedy to get His message across. His strength is made perfect in our weakness.

    I admire you for your strength and FIERCE determination. I know your granny is extremely proud of you. Hang in there and know that God's will is PERFECT, even when we can't or refuse to accept and understand.

    ReplyDelete